Antoon Cox is a part-time professor in Multilingual and Intercultural Communication at VUB, a postdoctoral researcher and lecturer in interpreting studies at KU Leuven and an honorary visiting scholar at the School of Medical Education at King’s College London. He holds a PhD in Applied Language Studies from VUB. He teaches various courses in the area of interpreting, applied linguistics, and intercultural and multilingual communication at KU Leuven and at VUB. His research focuses on interpersonal communication in stressful multilingual settings such as the emergency department and asylum reception centres. Antoon has authored and co-authored papers in journals such as MONTI, Patient Education and Counselling, Advances in Health Sciences Education, and the European Journal of Emergency Medicine. In addition, Antoon is training and examining community interpreters and guiding students carrying out internships in India.
Linguistic ethnography, interpreting studies, interactional sociolinguistics, health communication, institutional and business communication, intercultural and multilingual.
Selection of publications
- Cox, A., Iedema, R., Li, S., Sabbe, M., Salaets, H., Dauby, N. (2021) “Adding Barriers to Barriers during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Call for Interdisciplinary Research on Communication with Migrant Patients in the Emergency Department.” European Journal of Emergency Medicine, 28(1): 5–6. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000777. [Web of Science Impact Factor: 2.17]
- Cox, A., Li, S. (2020) The medical consultation through the lenses of Language and Social Interaction theory. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 25, 241-257. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-018-09873-2. [Web of Science Impact Factor: 2.552]
- Cox, A., Rosenberg, E., Thommeret-Carrière, A.-S., Huyghens, L., Humblé, P., Leanza, Y. (2019). Using patient companions as interpreters in the Emergency Department: an interdisciplinary quantitative and qualitative assessment. Patient Education and Counseling, 102(8): 1439-45. [Web of Science Impact Factor: 2.785]
- Cox, A., Lázaro Gutiérrez, R. (2016) Interpreting in the Emergency Department. How context matters for practice. In: Federici, F. (ed.) Mediating Emergencies: Front-line Translation and Interpreting. London: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 33-58. [Web of Science listed]
- Cox, A. (2015) Do you get the message? Defining the interpreter’s role in medical interpreting in Belgium. In: Iliescu Gheorghiu, Catalina & Juan Miguel Ortega Herráez (eds.) Insights in Interpreting / Reflexiones sobre la interpretación. MonTI Special Issue 2 (2015): 161-184 [Web of Science listed].